OIL TYCOON, BUSINESSMAN, ART COLLECTOR, AND CITIZEN DIPLOMAT, ARMAND HAMMER, HERE THANKS U.S. CONGRESSMAN FROM ALABAMA, ROBERT E. JONES, FOR HIS HELP IN PASSING THE LEGISLATION THAT MADE THE FRAMKLIN D. ROOSEVELT CAMPOBELLO INTERNATIONAL PARK POSSIBLE. IN JULY 1952 HAMMER PURCHASED THE 34-ROOM SUMMER HOME OF FRANKLIN & ELEANOR ROOSEVELT AND IN 1964 THE HAMMER FAMILY DONATED THE PROPERTY FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL PARK.
ARMAND HAMMER TYPED LETTER SIGNED, “Armand Hammer”, 1 pg., 7.25 x 10.5, June 4, 1965, on “Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Los Angeles, California, Office of the President” letterhead, to Congressman Robert E. Jones (1912-97), The House of Representatives, Washington, D.C., by the American businessman, President of Occidental Petroleum Corporation, known for his art collection and museum. His letter, in part: “…thanks for your part in passing the legislation that made the Roosevelt Campobello International Park possible.” In fine condition, with staple holes upper left.
Roosevelt Campobello International Park is a singular example of international cooperation – jointly administered, staffed, and funded by the peoples of Canada and the United States. Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt’s magnificent summer home is preserved here in a combination indoor museum and outdoor nature park on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada.