CHARLES RINGLING SIGNED CHECK, "Chas. Ringling", 8.5 x 3.25, "Ringling Bros. The World's Greatest Shows" check, in the amount of $33.60, to Madison General Hospital, drawn on the Chicago, IL, Fort Dearborn National Bank, Oct 13th, 1914. In fine condition.
CHARLES RINGLING (1863- 1926) The Ringling brothers were seven American siblings of German and French descent who transformed their small touring company of performers into one of America's largest circuses in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Four brothers were born in McGregor, Iowa: Alf T., Charles, John and Henry, and the family lived in McGregor for twelve years, from 1860 until 1872. The Ringling family then moved to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and finally settled in Baraboo, Wisconsin in 1875. They merged their Ringling Brothers Circus with America's other leading circus troupes, ultimately creating the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Charles Ringling bought large tracts of land in the Sarasota, Florida area, including the Gillespie Golf Course. He developed the Courthouse Subdivision, which extended the business center of Sarasota beyond the bay front. He donated land for a courthouse to serve as the county seat for the newly created, Sarasota County. He built the high-rise Sarasota Terrace Hotel near the railroad terminus and a bank through which he encouraged development in the community. Ringling Boulevard , which winds eastward from Tamiami Trail was named in honor of Charles Ringling because of his many civic activities in the community.